Friday, June 14, 2013

Father's Day Flair

My dad is crazy good at knowing what his gifts are before he opens them. I don't know if there is secret parental communication going on (hrm hrm, MOM!?), but he can always guess what his Christmas/Birthday/Father's Day gifts are! One year we got really creative and bought him rollerblades. The rollerblades came in a box of no particular "rollerblade" shape, just a normal, cube, boxy box. But somehow he knew! This year I am taking my wrapping efforts to the extreme. Why even try to be discrete anymore? This year I bring you...


I'm thinking that he'll be so distracted by the fact that the wrapping looks like a shirt, he'll have no time to guess what's inside! We shall see. 

How to wrap your Father's Day day gift:

Wrap your box as you normally would, leaving the seam of your paper running through the middle of the top size of your gift. Use any paper you like. I found this great patterned roll at Target, but a solid would work fine too. Cut a strip of paper a few inches wide and long enough to run from top to bottom of your box. Fold over a few times to hide your cut edges. 


Position your folded strip over your seam and tape in place, cutting off and reserving any extra length. Because boxes come in all shapes and sizes, I can't give you exact measurements and you are going to have to trust your eye balls on these next steps. I have full confidence in you! :)

Cut out a square of paper a few inches larger than you want your pocket to be. Fold in the edges to get your perfect size, as shown below:


I used the extra length from my folded strip to top off my pocket.


Now for the collar. I cut a strip of paper two times wider than I thought I would need so I could fold it in half...like a collar! Cut the ends of each side to create the points of your collar.



The sleeves took a lot of eyeballing to make sure they were proportional to the body of the shirt. I cut a long piece of paper and created a loop. I was able to make my loop bigger and smaller until I was happy with the size of my sleeve opening. Cut or fold in the top corner of your loop at a diagonal to match up with the body of your shirt. Leave the back piece for taping the sleeve loop to the back of the gift box. 


Buttons! My favorite part of this "shirt gift" is the buttons! You can get little packs of buttons for way less than a fancy bow! Use some craft glue to stick them on your folded strip.


Ta-da! The men in your life will be blown away! And hopefully they'll like what's inside too! ;)


Let us know how yours turn out! 
- Sarah-with-an-H





No comments:

Post a Comment