Sunday, June 9, 2013

The table that started it all


A stay at home mom, a military wife, and a project manager go to the beach... No, no, no, this isn't a corny joke. It was our first semi-annual girls weekend and the birthplace of Three Kitchen Tables.

I am Sarah-with-an-H. My husband and I moved away from our home state a few months ago to follow his dream of serving our country. We are currently stationed in Florida (no complaints here) while he completes flight school with the US Navy. It's hard to leave the world you grew up in and do something new in a new place. It definitely helps to have best friends who will traverse multiple states to spend the weekend with you! So the girls and I spent some much needed quality time sipping some much needed beverages on the pearly white sands of the Florida coast line, but found that the majority of our time was spent at my kitchen table. If you are anything like me your kitchen table is the heart of your home. Your kitchen table serves as an eating place, a meeting place, a teaching place, a crafting place, and a praying place. Even the tiny and closed off kitchen spaces of past apartments always had a way of drawing a crowd. 

You know it is a special occasion when the only things on the table are the intended decorations. Our table is most often covered with things like this...
Don't ask me what it means. All I know is that it will hopefully keep my husband's aircraft IN the air. 

It is girls weekends like this one that are special, and the kitchen table was cleared (except for my intended decor) and ready for familiar signs of sisterhood. From morning coffee to some late night Krispy Kreme action to hours of crafting, the table was the hub of our whole weekend. 

But what about the weeks and months that lie between the scheduled "girls weekends"? We needed a way to gather and share life and our latest ideas and most recent "I can't believe I thought that would work" moments. Welcome to our solution. Welcome to Three Kitchen Tables.

To Sara and Katie, thanks for the amazing weekend. I'm pretty sure we burned enough calories laughing to cancel out those doughnuts! Here's to blogging. :)  

No comments:

Post a Comment